Question:
Is Bedlam a real place?
Ged
2006-04-04 09:36:24 UTC
Is Bedlam a real place?
Six answers:
Anna
2006-04-04 09:47:33 UTC
I thought it was just a synonym of chaos, but according to the links below, it was a London Insane Asylum (the world's first) founded in 1247. As well as a small village in North Yorkshire.
robbie
2006-04-04 09:44:46 UTC
The Imperial War Museam building in London was previously an Insane Asylum in Victorian days.

In those days the area was called Bethlehem. The cockney accent changed this to Bedlam.

If you were being sent to Bedlam, you were going to the Insane Asylum.

So Bedlam became synonymous with "crazy noisy chaos"
Trevor
2006-04-04 09:47:20 UTC
It was. It's a corruption of Bethlem, which back in 1247 was nothing more than a small community of houses where Liverpool Street Station in London now stands.

Bethlem Hospital was built nearby and in time the name changed to Bedlam.

The original Bethlem Hospital has long since gone but a new one has been built in Bromley, southeast London.
hogan.enterprises
2006-04-04 09:40:09 UTC
Yes. It's the nickname of the Bethlehem Royal Hospital in London; a mental care facility.
Cosmic I
2006-04-04 09:39:23 UTC
Yes, it was a mental institution in London.
Hakem
2006-04-10 12:39:54 UTC
As I read it is a small village in north yorkshire.