Question:
Is the Thistle Victoria in London a good hotel?
burgandywine
2006-02-22 08:04:45 UTC
Is the Thistle Victoria in London a good hotel?
Two answers:
Lizzzzie
2006-02-22 08:35:36 UTC
Here are some highlights to the Thistle Victoria:

- Grand Victorian property located adjacent to Victoria train station,

- Blue patterned fabrics combine with light tones in the 357 modern guestrooms, all with high-speed Internet ports and cable TV.

- A concierge is on hand to help book shows and restaurants; alternatively onsite dining and room service are available.

Location is excellent. The hotel is physically connected to Victoria station (with entrances inside and outside the station).

Lobby is quite nice and there is an eating establishment.

Our first room was simply disgusting. When I pulled the comforter back on the bed, the sheets were covered in what appeared to be human hair. It was as though someone had their hair cut in the bed earlier that day. The bathroom was riddled with nasties too. The elevators were not working so we went back down the seven flights of stairs to the front desk (who was very friendly). They apologized and gave us another room. Up the stairs we went (again).

This room might have been clean but we didn't really find out as we opened the door on a young couple during an intimate moment.

Back down to the front desk, and this time I asked for the manager. The manager was very apologetic (and I told him he should really be apologizing to the folks in room 760). He took us to another room which was acceptable (although the bathroom had used towels inside). We had to laugh. Having spent a fair amount of time in Europe, I've learned to significantly lower my standards regarding hotels, but this was hilarious.

I was taken aback by the general lack of sophistication amongst the staff as well. They couldn't seem to understand that we really wanted a single bed.

To make it up to me and my partner, he sent us a complimentary bottle of South African Merlot (which was a nice gesture).

Location is excellent, just watch out for the quality of the room. The staff is kind but incompetent. They also seemed very short staffed. I overheard a conversation at the front desk (the next day) that the hotel was running an internet special for 50 pounds per person on certain days. And the hotel had overbooked.

You can click here to read reviews about the Thistle Victoria from people who have stayed there:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g186338-d218409-Reviews-Thistle_Victoria-London_England.html
stepheemarie
2006-02-22 16:14:03 UTC
The Thistle Victoria is an elegant and spacious Victorian hotel adjacent to Victoria mainline railway station. Many of London's famous landmarks such as Buckingham Palace and the Houses of Parliament, within easy walking distance. With well appointed bedrooms including suites, the hotel offers a traditional atmosphere with friendly attentive service. for pictures and more info go to: http://www.londontown.com/LondonHotel/Thistle/Thistle-Victoria