Question:
If I have a stopover in London do I need a visa? I am a Peruvian citizen.?
Matt
2006-04-03 22:54:58 UTC
My major concern is that I arrive on a BA flight and need to re-chickin on America Airlines. I do not want to leave the airport, just checkin again.
Six answers:
2006-04-05 07:01:04 UTC
If you do not leave the airport while you are in London then you will NOT need a visa.

If you leave the airport they will check your documents when you go through security to get back into the airport.

If you will be in London Heathrow Airport there are plenty of things to do while you wait for your flight.

I wouldn't take the chance of leaving the airport, it can only cause problems for you.
LadyBassPlayer
2006-04-04 06:06:52 UTC
I would imagine that only if you pass beyond the security gates and leave the airport, would you need a visa. Aren't visa's only for people who are staying in a foreign country for an extended amount of time? This is not an uncommon travel question. It happens all the time. I would suggest to call American Airlines. Here are some telephone numbers you can call, to ask. If it is automated, just stay on the line, and a customer service representative will eventually pick up the line.

American Airlines Reservations

English 1-800-223-5436

Spanish 1-800-228-8356

AA.com web services

United Kingdom 08-45-601-0619

8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. GMT

Mon. - Fri.

Closed Sat. - Sun.

Also, you can explore their website, AA.COM to see if there are any answers to your questions there. Good luck and have a safe trip.
originaltigger61
2006-04-04 05:59:51 UTC
As long as you do not leave the airport terminal building, you don't go through customs and immigration. Therefore, you do not need any passports. The airport is almost like an international safe place...watch the movie 'The Terminal', it gives a very good example of it.
Pontac
2006-04-04 10:18:11 UTC
You need to check which terminal you arrive at and depart from.

BA mostly uses Terminal 4 and AA use Terminal 3, and they are physically separate.

However, if the same terminal is being used you can transfer without going through immigration - just follow teh Flight Connections sign.

You should contact BA and ask them. To find out about visa requirments see http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk
2006-04-04 08:16:17 UTC
If yuou dont leave the airport you're alright, but if you have more than a few hours then why not get a visa and see a bit of London?
2006-04-04 05:56:45 UTC
I don't think so.. I just think your not allowed to leave the airport. But not 100% sure